Thursday, December 7, 12-4PM at Design Expo (locations across North Campus): Teams being considered for the Socially Engaged Design Awards will be designated with a teal star in the Design Expo booklet and on their poster.
Friday, December 8, 10-11:30AM at Coffee & Bagels Reception (C-SED – 3360 GG Brown): Teams and their project sponsors, partners, and instructors are invited to celebrate their work and awardees will be announced. Teams will RSVP on behalf of their groups. Please email email@example.com if you’d like to join us for this event and aren’t already connected to a team.
How it works:
- BEGINNING OF SEMESTER: Register to tell C-SED you want to participate. Registration is currently closed. Check back for Winter 2018 Socially Engaged Design Awards Registration in January.
- THROUGHOUT SEMESTER: Meet with a C-SED Consultant about your design project. Take advantage of C-SED opportunities throughout the semester to build skills, get feedback, and set your team up for success at Design Expo.
- WINTER 2018 DEADLINE COMING SOON: Register for Design Expo.
- DATE COMING SOON: Present at Winter 2018 Design Expo.*
- DATE COMING SOON: Celebrate your great work and the winning teams at the Coffee & Bagels Reception at C-SED.
*All teams will have the opportunity to present at Design Expo. If your team isn’t affiliated with a class that already attends Design Expo, you may be hosted at C-SED.
Questions about Design Expo or the host, Multidisciplinary Design Program? Learn more.
Projects and presentations are evaluated on their attention to the broader context of design, engagement with and incorporation of stakeholder expertise, application of qualitative research methods, use of respectful and co-creative language, and product quality. (criteria subject to change)
|Context: Consideration of the broader context of design (social, cultural, economic, environmental), including how the design interacts with context from materials selection through implementation and adoption through disposal and/or project sunsetting.|
|Stakeholder/Community Engagement: Direct and indirect engagement with stakeholders and/or community for information gathering and design. Incorporation of knowledge, skills, ideas, and perspectives of stakeholders/community.|
|Methods: Application of socially engaged design methods, including qualitative research methods (i.e. interviews, focus groups, observations) and use of prototyping to garner feedback.|
|Language: Use of respectful and co-creative language about stakeholders/users, needs, and design solutions.|
|Quality: Technical soundness of product, likelihood to address the need, consideration of user requirements & engineering specifications.|
Teams seeking to incorporate a socially engaged design approach into their project work are strongly encouraged to meet with C-SED consultants in one or more 20-minute appointments throughout the semester and train in front-end design and other relevant skills using the Socially Engaged Design Academy and Deep Dives.
Check out past SED Award winners here: